Wednesday, December 26, 2012

The Farm by Emily McKay

Yay, my first book review!  The Farm by Emily McKay (link lead to goodreads.com). I had a hard time deciding on a book to review but this one sounded the most interesting.

The cover for The Farm is relatively sedate, it features a girl in a red hood standing next to a barbed wire fence. The tagline is Escape is only the beginning.

And with that, on to the review:

The Farm by Emily McKay:
I started this book with high expectations, the blurb sounded amazing and the premise is interesting.
The Premise: The Southwest has been decimated by genetically mutated vampires called Ticks and all the teenagers have been rounded up and put in Farms, supposedly for their protection. This story centers around Lily and her autistic sister Mel and their attempt to escape the Farm.

It starts out well, Lily is doing what she can to protect her sister and get the supplies they need to break out of the Farm. It is soon to be their 18th birthday and no one knows what happens when you turn 18, other than its not good. As she is getting supplies she runs in to the new kid on the Farm who turns out to be someone she knew in the Before. Carter is the boy Lily had a crush on in 9th grade, the resident bad boy. The premise says that Carter has a mysterious secret that could change everything for Lily and Mel, unfortunately, we find out the secret too early in the book and the book somewhat drags on from there.

It is a good book, however it didn't meet my expectations. It could have been a very excellent book but after the first few chapters it kind of fell flat. It is a decent quick read, but I don't know that I will be reading the sequel. I would rate it around 3 1/2 stars out of 5.

Sadly, I can't think of any books off the top of my head to recommend that are similar, eventually I will find something.

No comments:

Post a Comment