Friday, March 8, 2013

Free Book Friday - Unenchanted by Chanda Hahn

I am starting a new thing today, Free Book Friday. My goal is to review and recommend books that are free for download either on Kindle or Nook. It isn't hard to find free books for download, but it is tricky to find books that aren't erotica or heavy in to the romance. I am looking for books that are a bit more PG.

The first book I chose for Free Book Friday is a book that has been in my Nook library forever, but I kept getting distracted and just now finally read it.

Unenchanted by Chanda Hahn

I was pleasantly surprised with this book. Many free books aren't particularly well edited and I have come to somewhat expect that of self published books. Not that they are bad, but that they aren't professionally edited and okay, yes, some of them are just plain awful. But again, I was impressed by Unenchanted. It did have its moments, it could have used a look over by an editor, but over all it was pretty well written.

Unenchanted is the story of Mina Grime, a girl with unbelievably bad luck. If something can go wrong for her, it will go wrong. But despite this, her best friend Nan stands by her through all of her troubles. Mina is unpopular at school and does all she can to become invisible  This changes after she saves the most popular boy in school's life during a school field trip. Brody Carmichael is cute, rich, and doesn't know Mina exists.

Mina's life changes after she saves Brody. She finds out about her really family history and why it is so dangerous. Mina's last name isn't Grime, it is really Grimm and yes, she is related to THE Grimm's. Mina soon finds out that the Grimm Brother's fairy tales weren't works of their imaginations but rather true stories of what happens to the Grimm brothers. And now Mina is cursed to repeat those tales or die trying.

I was fascinated by Hahn's interpretation of fairy tales and thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was a sequel that I haven't read yet, but I do look forward to it despite mixed reviews.

I would give Unenchanted by Chanda Hahn a 3.5 out of 5. It would be higher except for those few editing errors. For a free book, it is definitely worth checking out.

Recommendations:
Fairest by Chanda Hahn - This is the sequel to Unenchanted, sadly, it is not a free book.

The Iron Butterfly by Chanda Hahn - Another free book by Hahn, I think this book looks interesting as well. It is set in a completely different world from Unenchanted.



No comments:

Post a Comment