Tuesday, March 12, 2013

New Book Tuesday - Mila 2.0 by Debra Driza


To accompany Free Book Friday I have started another staple for this blog, New Book Tuesday. It probably won't be every Tuesday and it may occasionally come out on Wednesday, but I shall do my best.

This week we have Mila 2.0 by Debra Driza. I learned about this book from an online flier for Pitch Black Dark Days tour. I read the Goodreads blurb and was intrigued. I then did a very stupid thing and read the free preview on Nook, three weeks before the book was being released. This has prompted Book Rule #3 for me: No reading free samples before the book is released. Seriously, I could have kicked myself for this one. I fell in love with the first seven chapters and it was brutal to have to wait three more weeks to be able to read it.

If I had gone to the Pitch Black Dark Days tour I could have gotten the book a week early. But sadly I was unable to go and even though I did order the signed book I didn't get it until 4 days before the book was released. And then I couldn't bring myself to read my signed copy. This has become a real problem for me...

But Mila 2.0 by Debra Driza was well worth the wait, it was amazing.

It started with a small town and a new girl who somewhat fits in, but only at the grace of her friend Kaylee. When a new boy comes to town, Hunter, things start to go downhill for Mila's life in Clearwater. Kaylee and Mila both have a crush on Hunter, but when Hunter makes it clear he prefers Mila, Kaylee doesn't take it well.

An accident on the way home from school one day leaves Mila to make a startling discovery about herself. A cut that doesn't bleed, a past she doesn't remember, and a surprise attack lead Mila and her mother to make a run for the border.
 They make it to Canada, but they are taken before they can board a plane for Germany.

After that, I can't tell you anything because of spoilers.

I thought Mila 2.0 was pretty well written for a debut novel and I would give it 4 out of 5. It was a bit slow in places but overall it had a good flow and an interesting plot line. It was also interesting to see Mila 2.0 compared to Mila 3.0.

Recommendations:

 Origin by Jessica Khoury - While not an android, Pia was created to be perfect. I definitely loved this story.

Partials by Dan Wells - Science vs humanity in a war to win the world! Partials are created in labs to be identical to humans but somehow it all went wrong.

Variant by Robinson Wells - Where you find one Wells brother, you often find the other. At least when it comes to books. I really liked this book, it even has androids in it if I remember correctly.






No comments:

Post a Comment