Saturday, February 16, 2013

Breathless Reads Book Tour - West Coast Edition.

As I mentioned in my post The Magic of Meeting Authors!, today was the Breathless Reads Book tour visit to Salt Lake City!

I was so excited to be able to attend this event, it always means a lot of me to be able to meet authors. It's my version of going to a concert! (There may be a lot of exclamation points in this post.) I drove about 40 minutes to get to the Barnes and Noble in Orem, where the event was being held and thankfully left early enough that I could be 30 minutes early to the event. While that may not sound like a good thing, trust me it was. By the time it was all said and done it was standing room only and I was lucky enough to have a chair.

I bought my books in advance and thought I had brought too many, seven in total. Fortunately, I hadn't brought the most, the two ladies next to me had 26 books between them! They were very nice ladies and we got the chance to talk before the event, it was nice to actually meet people.

The books I had brought with me:
Legend by Marie Lu
Prodigy by Marie Lu
Rift by Andrea Cremer
Rise by Andrea Cremer
Paper Valentine by Brenda Yovanoff
The Replacements by Brenda Yovanoff
and
Origin by Jessica Khoury

Ally Condie was a special guest, but I already had signed copies of her Matched Trilogy from an event in November I think it was.

For the first forty minutes it was a Q&A with the authors and we got to learn about their writing process and where they get their ideas. It was funny when they were asked to describe their books or series in 10 words or less. And all five authors had Kissing as one of their words.

Ok, so maybe it was just exciting to me, but these people are magicians to me!

After the Q&A we lined up for the book signing and this made me doubly glad I had gotten there early. Even though we weren't actually in the line, they shuffled it around so those in the chairs were moved to the front of the line since we were all early to the event. I got lucky and was third in line so I didn't have to wait in line forever.

It was amazing to be able to actually talk to authors about mundane things. One topic that came up was the weather in Utah and Andrea Cremer and I were talking about how it really isn't that cold here, not after you have spent winters in -40F. She is originally from northern Minnesota while I lived in Alaska for almost five years.

All of the authors were super nice and liked the idea of my paint chip project. Several of them said they want to see the finished project when it is all done and said I should tag them in a twitter tweet when I finished.

Finally, here are some pictures!

Brenda Yovanoff, Ally Condie, and Andrea Cremer


Andrea Cremer and Marie Lu

Jessica Khoury, Brenda Yovanoff, and Ally Condie

Jessica Khoury, Brenda Yovanoff, and Ally Condie

Six of the seven books I had signed along with paint chips.

Two of the books I had signed along with the paint chip.
My shelf of autographed books!

2 comments:

  1. Have you read the matched series yet? I wonder if it's any good. And have you reviewed any of the authors you met?

    So exciting! Wish I were there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the first in the Matched set, I liked it, but I was coming down from the Hunger Games trilogy and couldn't give it my all. I reviewed Jessica Khoury's book Origin before I met her, but none of the others. I plan to read a Brenda Yovanoff book next. I have reviewed a few books that I met the authors before reading it. At least Jessica Day George's Princess of the Silver Woods, I got to go to the book release party.

    ReplyDelete