Thursday, February 21, 2013

Etiquette and Espionage by Gail Carriger

Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger is a book I have been waiting for since I read her series The Parasol Protectorate  Set in a supernatural England in the 1800's, The Parasol Protectorate breathes new life in to an era I love to read about. After I finished reading those books I went through Gail Carriger's Goodreads page and stumbled upon Etiquette & Espionage. I thought it looks amazing but was disappointed to find out it wasn't going to be released for another 10 months! None the less I added it to my to read list and kind of forgot about it for a while. But recently I was going through my to reads list and marking down on my calendar when books were due to be released. I was very pleased to find out that Etiquette and Espionage was to be released a week after I went through my list. It came out the same day as Scarlet by Marissa Meyer, last week was a busy reading week for me.

Actually, books like these are the reason I had to implement a new rule for my reading habits. It used to be my only reading rule was no starting new books after 8pm (this came about after staying up way to late to finish reading books that I didn't start until 10pm.) But now I have a second rule, no more starting books at 7am.... at least not during the week.  This rule is because if I start a book first thing in the morning I won't want to do anything else until I have finished said book. This becomes a problem because I would much rather read my fiction book over my Intro to Literature book. So, the rule really is that I have to read my lit homework before I am allowed to start a new book. Yes, there is a good chance I am addicted to reading. But that is a story for another post.

Etiquette & Espionage is set in England in the 1800's, like previously mentioned. However, it is a supernatural steampunk England where werewolves and vampires are a common occurrence  In the beginning of the book we are introduced Sophronia Temminick, a 14 year old troublemaker. It isn't that she is a bad girl so much as a very curious girl. Why sit for tea when she could be discovering how a dumbwaiter really works. Unfortunately, this leads to trouble for young Sophronia and she is sent to Mademoiselle Geraldine's Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality. Sophronia doesn't really want to go, but she is forced to by her parents. On the trip to the academy her carriage is set upon by Flywaymen, highwaymen but in a floating ship. The Flywaymen are looking for an object that is of the utmost importance, but when their chaperon faints, Sophronia and the other two people in the carriage manage to fight off the flywaymen and make a great escape. 

When they reach the academy Sophronia is astounded to discover that the academy is on a sky ship held aloft by three large air balloons  Sophronia is even more amazed to discover the real purpose behind the academy, not just to finish ladies, but to create spies and assassins.
Set in the same world as the Parasol Protectorate  Etiquette & Espionage has some of the same characters as the other book. Over the course of the book you will fall in love with the academy and characters. My only regret is that I wasn't given the chance to attend a school like Mademoiselle Geraldine's.

I would rate this book a 4/5.

Recommendations:
Curtsies & Conspiracies by Gail Carriger - This sequel to Etiquette & Espionage isn't set to be published until sometime late fall 2013. I am saddened by this.

The Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger - set in the same world as Etiquette & Espionage, The Parasol Protectorate is a slightly more adult series. Still amazing.

The Gallagher Girls series by Ally Carter - This series is set in modern times and has a distinct lack of supernatural beings, but it is about a school for girls that trains spies.

No comments:

Post a Comment