Thursday, February 7, 2013

Princess of the Silver Woods by Jessica Day George

Princess of the Silver Woods by Jessica Day George has been sitting on my shelf and staring at me since I got it... I have a valid reason for this, I swear. I was lucky enough to attend the launch party for Princess of the Silver Woods and I got an autographed copy while there. This is the reason I didn't read it until yesterday.. I didn't want to ruin my awesome, personalized, autographed copy! I actually have almost a full shelf of books that I want to read but I don't want to damage the books.
I finally read it because I got a Barnes and Noble giftcard and I really have been dying to read the book. I loved the first two in the series and I was excited for this one.

So Tuesday I read Scarlet by Marissa Meyers and Wednesday (yesterday) I read Princess of the Silver Woods by Jessica Day George. I am on a bit of a Little Red Riding Hood kick right now, I want to find a third book to complete my readings.. (but instead I will settle for reading Aesop's Fables for my lit class.)

I was very impressed with Princess of the Silver Woods. It continues on with the theme of the previous two books in the series, Princess of the Midnight Ball and Princess of Glass. In Princess of the Midnight Ball we are introduced to the twelve dancing princesses. Each night they go to bed and in the morning it is discovered that all of their dancing slippers have been worn through. Galen, a soldier, works to save the twelve sisters including Rose, the oldest. In Princess of Glass we continue on in the fairy tales and focus on Poppy, who has been sent to Briton as part of a princess exchange program. For Princess of Glass we see the aftereffects of the twelve dancing princesses and it intertwines with Cinderella.

In Princess of the Silver Woods we truely meet Petunia for the first time. She is the youngest of the twelve dancing sisters and was only seven during Princess of the Midnight Ball. Now sixteen she has blossomed (pun intended) in to a beautiful young woman reading to make her own path in life. She loves to garden and knows how to handle a gun. When her coach is set upon by bandits known as the Wolves of Westfall she puts a gun in the face of a bandit and gets away. Unfortunately he coach crashes not much farther down the road and she is taken hostage by the head bandit. But this isn't the story of her being taken captive. Instead this is the story of what happens when the Twelve Dancing Daughters meet the sons of the Nine Daughters of Russaka

I very much enjoyed this book, I don't want to tell any more of the plot for fearing I might give it away.
I rate this a 4.5 out of 5! I wish there were going to be more books in this series, I really do.

Recommendations:
Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George - This is the first book in the Princess of the Midnight Ball series. You really need to read the books in order to get the full effect.

Princess of Glass by Jessica Day George - This is the second book in the series, again, awesome awesome books.

Cinder by Marissa Meyer - This book is a spin on Cinderella set well in the future where Cinder is a cyborg and a mechanic. I really liked this book and if you like books that take fairy tales and turn them in to something new, this would be a good one to read.

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer - Who's afraid of the big bad wolf? This is the sequel to Cinder and actually just came out this week. I enjoyed Scarlet more than Cinder, but they are both pretty awesome. You will be able to see my review for Scarlet soon, I just have to type it.





No comments:

Post a Comment