Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Dead and the Gone by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Sorry for the slow updates, I started a new semester of college and had to settle in to classwork again.

Last year I read Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer. In this book the moon has been knocked out of its orbit and closer to Earth. This has devastating effects on Earth, everything from the tides to volcanoes.
This year I finally got around to the sequel, The Dead and the Gone by Susan Beth Pfeffer. I had put it off for some unknown reason, but I am glad I finally read it. I am now on the hold list for the third book in the series.

The Dead and the Gone takes place during the same time frame as Life as We Knew It, but miles away.  The Dead and the Gone is the story of Alex Morales and is set in New York City. Alex Morales is a seventeen year old high school studen with two sisters and a brother. His sisters are Brianna and Julie, his brother Carlos. When the asteroid strikes his mother is stuck at work in a hospital, his father is at his grandmother's funeral in Puerto Rico, and his older brother is in California with the Marines. Alex is left alone to care for and protect his two sisters.

Alex does all he can to provide for Bri and Julie and when there is an opportunity to send Bri to the country he sends her to safety. With just Julie to watch after, they manage to survive in a world gone to hell.

How will they survive when the volcanoes erupt and the city is cast in to eternal grayness and winter?

I would rate this book a 3.75 out of 5. It was a good book but a bit repetitive at times. I do plan on reading the third and fourth books in the series as soon as I can get a hold of them.


Recommendations:
Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer - This is the first book in the series and while it could be read as a stand alone book I would suggest reading them both. It all ties together for the third and fourth books.

Ashfall by Mike Mullin - This book lacks an asteroid but it is a post apocalyptic book about what would happen if the volcano in Yellowstone National Park were to erupt I was a big fan of this book, the first two books in the trilogy have already been published.







No comments:

Post a Comment