Friday, January 4, 2013

Zom-B by Darren Shan

I went in to this book with fairly high hopes. Darren Shan has written quite a few horror books including the popular Cirque Du Freak series. I am a big fan of zombie books and I was looking forward to this book.

However, I was rather disappointed by Zom-B by Darren Shan.
For a zombie book, there weren't too many zombies. I mostly continued the book to be able to say I finished it.
The first 70 or so pages of a 150 page book had very very little to do with zombies, it dealt more with racism.
The main character of Zom-B is B Shawn, a local thug in London. Through out the book we see B beating up weaker kids and frequently making racial slurs. B's father Todd is extremely racist and does everything he can to encourage B to follow in his footsteps. B is trying to decide if its too late to change or if B really is the racist that everyone thinks.

Honestly, I really don't have much I can say about this book. There are several twists that would be good, but I can't get past the blatant racism in the book. I know it is a hot topic but I didn't expect it to this level. Between that and the writing style I just really couldn't get in to it.

I rate it a 2 1/2 out of 5

I can't think of any similar recommendations.

No comments:

Post a Comment